Thursday 22 November 2012

Get your Groove on Thursday - Hurt

So the book The Mighty Storm had a few references of music. I already posted the Wicked Game song on a previous thursday.

This Thursday I am going to feature the Song "Hurt". I love that there are multiple references to the same song but have two different artists with two different meanings.

"if you,  Jake Wethers, had to pick one song as your title song to describe yourself, what would it be - and it can't be one of your own," I quickly add.  "Hurt," he answers without hesitation.  It makes me  hurt inside he picked that song.  "Why?"  He lets out a light sigh.  "Some people said Reznor was writing a lyrical suicide note, others said he was writing about finding a reason to live.  I think it's both ... it just depends on which side you're looking at it from."  "And which side are you looking at it from?"  He stares at me from a long moment.  My heart is hammering in my chest.  "Now? ... a reason to live."  My insides start to tremble.  "Reznor's version or Johnny Cash's?  I ask quietly, trying to conceal the pain from my voice.  "Johnny Cash."  "Why?" .... "Because I have a few things in common with him..... "The drugs ... the woman ... hanging out for the girl of my dreams." I take a sharp breath in. Tears instantly prick the backs of my eyes.  He touches my face, his thumb smoothing over my lips.  "You're my June, Tru."

'Hurt' by Johnny Cash

iTunes Canada:
Hurt - Unearthed (Box Set)

iTunes USA:
Hurt - Unearthed (Box Set)

 He closes his eyes, concealing his pain, then presses his fingers down on the keys and begins to play 'Hurt'.  Leaning his mouth close to the mic, he starts to sing, and I feel a stabbing pain in my chest so hard that I can barely breathe.  Jake's voice is deep and powerful, and is echoing raw around the stadium.  And I know in this moment what he's doing.  He's not playing Cash's version,  he's playing Rezner's.  He's telling me he's back there. He' telling me he's lost his reason to live.

'Hurt' by Rezner

iTunes Canada: Nine inch Nails
Hurt - Unearthed (Box Set)

iTunes USA: Nine inch Nails
Hurt - The Downward Spiral (Deluxe Edition) 
 


The Mighty Storm (The Storm #1)

by
It's been twelve years since Tru Bennett last saw Jake Wethers, her former best friend and boy she once loved.

Jake Wethers, sexy, tattooed and deliciously bad lead singer, and brains behind The Mighty Storm, one of biggest bands in the world, left Tru with a broken heart when he moved from England to America with his family when they were both fourteen.

Sent to interview Jake for her music column by the magazine she works for, they are both unprepared for the sparks that fly the instant they reconnect. Only, there’s a complication to their instant feelings for one another – Will, Tru’s boyfriend of two years.

Then Jake makes Tru a job offer she can't refuse - travelling the world with him and his band. But taking the job means leaving Will behind, and being on the road with the band means spending an inordinate amount of time with Jake.

Is Tru strong enough to resist the delectable bad boy who once held her heart so completely, or will she willingly risk it all for one night with the worlds most notorious womanizer? 


From Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.