Wednesday 2 September 2015

Watch Over Me (Danvers #7) by Sydney Landon ~ #bookreview #contemporaryromance

http://amzn.to/1ijjr4p
Watch Over Me (Danvers #7)

 
by
 
Gwen Day has never been lucky in love, but now she’s betting on one man ready to care for her like no one ever has…

Fresh off of the most humiliating romantic disaster of her life, Gwen sees no reason not to get tipsy and throw herself at her sexy bad boy neighbor. But she never expected their one night stand to have consequences that would keep them together...or for his concern to turn into something that feels like it could last.

Dominic Brady has always admired Gwen from afar, and now that she’s single, he has no reservations about saying yes to one wild night. Soon he’s interested in a real relationship. But when their future is uncertain, Dominic is determined to show her that he takes care of what’s his. And that no matter what happens, he’s one man she can’t lose.



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24453053-watch-over-me?ac=1





Source: eARC for Honest Review Courtesy of Signet | Penguin Group
Genre: Adult Contemporary Romance
Part 7 in an ongoing series but could be read as a standalone but would still be better as a series



My Watch Over You Review...

Normally I adore the Danvers series,  but something about this book completely irked me.  I was ready to DNF even at the 94% mark but thought I should be able to power through the last 6%. Thankfully I did as that was the most enjoyable part but statistically that's not a good percentage to like versus not like.

"Don't keep it from me if something should change. I can handle anything but lies."

I couldn't wait for Gwen and Dominic, as I started to read it I was liking it and thought Dominic was such an ol'softie in his big exterior, but then he turned to be just completely too soft with no hard.  Gwen, I felt for her for a smidgeon as she's had some bad luck where it comes to love, but then she started on the insecure, push away to protect myself before it happens, assume, assume and assume portion of the novel, which was basically the whole theme of the whole book which caused the book to completely go downhill for me. 

 "I want to take care of you, babe.  It's not a job for me, it's a privilege.  There's never been a woman who I've wanted to keep close and protect like I do you, and I'm probably going a little overboard with it.  I can't seem to help myself, though."  (Dominic started off with potential)

"I'm afraid to believe that something this good could be happening to me.  I haven't exactly had much success with my past relationships." (This notion got old fast)

I'm not suggesting you go and profess your love today . . . but stop acting as if someone is holding a stopwatch over your head and just enjoy getting to know Dominic.    (Good advice, maybe if she listened I would have been less annoyed)

Looking ahead and trying to avoid a relationship disaster had never helped her before, so trying to live for the day might be worth a shot.  (Good idea, if only she listened to her own advice)

"Maybe they were joking, Gwen.  You know how men can be sometimes.  I wouldn't put too much stock in a conversation you probably only caught pieces of."   (Agree, and if only she listened to that advice as well.)

" . . . I do think that you two have some serious miscommunication going on and a part of it is probably your listening to advice from everyone else instead of just figuring shit out on your own like you normally would."  

Agree with the last quote, but sadly this recurring assumption & miscommunication plot ruined it for me because it was basically the WHOLE book with a whole bunch of sex thrown in.  I'm so bummed about this book since I have enjoyed all the rest of them so much.  But sometimes they can't all be winners.  Even though this one wasn't my favorite, it will no way hinder me from reading more from this series.  Especially, since I need to read about Mark and Crystal.

2 Annoyed thumbs up!

thumbs upthumbs up

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.