Wednesday 11 November 2015

Reaper's Fall (Reapers MC #5) by Joanna Wylde ~ #bookreview #MCRomance @BerkleyRomance @SignetEclipse

http://amzn.to/1QjpILH
Reaper's Fall (Reapers MC #5)

by

He never meant to hurt her.

Levi “Painter” Brooks was nothing before he joined the Reapers motorcycle club. The day he patched in, they became his brothers and his life. All they asked in return was a strong arm and unconditional loyalty—a loyalty that’s tested when he’s caught and sentenced to prison for a crime committed on their behalf.

Melanie Tucker may have had a rough start, but along the way she’s learned to fight for her future. She’s escaped from hell and started a new life, yet every night she dreams of a biker whose touch she can’t forget. It all started out so innocently—just a series of letters to a lonely man in prison. Friendly. Harmless. Safe.

Now Painter Brooks is coming home… and Melanie’s about to learn that there’s no room for innocence in the Reapers MC


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24582414-reaper-s-fall?ac=1&from_search=1



Source: eARC for Honest Review Courtesy of Berkley | Penguin Group
Genre: Adult MC Contemporary Romance
Part 5 in an ongoing series


My Reaper's Fall Review . . .

Within the series we have come across Levi 'Painter' Brooks and Melanie Tucker, but for the most part their relationship hasn't been pretty.  Their hostile, and angry.  Now we get to see how they got to that point, and if there is any hope for these two.

I have to admit it was nice to see that Melanie and Painter can be more real instead of always explosive.  

Well one thing we can say about Painter is, he's honest, and we know where we stand with him.  He has never tried to be anything different then who he is.

"Here's the ugly truth, though," he whispered.  "I'll want all of that-all of you-for about a week.  Then I'll get busy or bored or whatever, and I'll stop calling you.  That's how I am, Mel.  I'm the guy who doesn't call and I don't even regret it, because I truly don't give a shit who I hurt.  Except for some fucked-up reason.  I care about you.  If some guy treated you the way I dream about every night, I'd kill him.  I'm not into suicide, so that means we can't go there. Got it?" 

Even though Painter is honest, he also wants more for Melanie, then this MC life.  However, Melanie has different aspirations for a potential relationship with Painter.  Now she just has to convince Painter that they should give this ago.

"And take your fucking arm out from under my head.  Cuddling is for closers."





I was so liking this book, then Melanie really started to piss me off.  She knew what she was getting into when she was pining over Painter, for Christ sake she was writing him in prison.  So, Painter makes one mistake, ONE, admittedly a big one, but it was still only one mistake.  Then she takes stubborn to a whole new level.   For years she won't listen to Painter and hear him out, but she will reap the benefit of his MC.  I get there were consequences to Painter's bad choices, but he didn't have a lot of time to process the news, which caused him to get immersed within his brotherhood. Unfortunately for both of them that decision had tons of blow back.    



"Mel, I've done everything you've asked,"  he said.  "And there's not a damned thing on earth I wouldn't do for Isabella.  But I'm sick of jumping through your hoops, only to have you go full bitch on me when I want to see my daughter.  She's my kid, too." 

~

"I fucked up.  I know I fucked up, I've apologized for it, and I've done my best to make up for it.  I'll never get that time with her back, and I'll regret that for the rest of my fucking life.  But no goddamned way I'll let you or anyone else get between me and my girl, Mel.  I appreciate all you've been through and I'm thankful that you're Izzy's mom, but don't think you'll get rid of me. You'll never be rid of me, Melanie.  For the rest of your fucking life, I'll be here because we share a kid.  So stop being so nasty all the time."

~

"Almost a year I've been free, doing everything I can to help you.  Financially, around the house.  I said something stupid when you told me about Izzy, and then I got reckless.  I paid for that by losing the first part of my daughter's life.  I won't lose any more.  I'm done trying to make you happy, Mel, so here's the new rules.  You can fuck around all you want, but you stay the hell out of my world. You come back inside, I'm taking over.  Got it?"

Even though Melanie was a tool, at times, Painter changes the game so he can get his family back.  Now, all he has to do is wait.

"New game, Mel. I'm done riding bitch so you can feel good. Consider yourself warned." 
I have to admit, thankfully Painter has the MC, because he was PATIENT with Mel's bullshit.  If it was me, I would have dropped her.  Baby mamma or not.  But when Painter loves, he loves full out.  However, that doesn't mean he's being a saint, while he's waiting.

"Fuck, but you hold a grudge."
Mel's grudge and BS, were trying at times when reading this book, but finally she effs up, than Painter can take what he has always wanted.  At the same time, I was able to get back into the story instead of being frustrated with Mel's stubbornness. 

If Mel were less stubborn I would have loved the book so much more.  I know her hostility is what makes their relationship explosive and is a huge part of their dynamics, but it got to be too much for me and started to alter my reading experience. 

Did I love this book?  Parts of it, but it was more of the like quality for me.  Did I like Painter?  Yes, even when he's being an asshole.  Do I love the Reapers?  Yes, all of them and I can't wait for more from this series.

3. 5 Grudge Holding Thumbs up!

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up . 5

Lauren
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.