Tuesday 5 April 2016

Take Me Home Tonight by Erika Kelly ~ #bookreview #rockstarromance #releaseday @BerkleyRomance @SignetEclipse

http://amzn.to/1SMKSkl
Take Me Home Tonight (Rock Star Romance #3)

by

A rocker gets a taste of unexpected passion in the latest red-hot Rock Star Romance from the award-winning author of I Want You to Want Me.

Calix Bourbon might seem like a free spirit, but that’s all a front. In reality he’s just trying to keep his fractured family together while working as a session musician. When Blue Fire hires him to replace their keyboardist, Calix is determined to make the most of the opportunity—but he can’t help being distracted by the band’s sexy personal chef.

Mimi’s temporary gig is great, but she has her heart set on auditioning for a televised cooking show. There’s just one problem: she only has a week to acquire the skills necessary to survive the competition. Luckily, the band’s new keyboard player can teach her exactly what she needs, in the kitchen and in the bedroom...


 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25894552-take-me-home-tonight?from_new_nav=true&ac=1&from_search=true



Source: eARC for Honest Review Courtesy of Berkley | Penguin Group 
Genre: Adult Rockstar Romance
Part 3 in a series but can be read as a standalone


My Take Me Home Tonight Review . . .


This was my first Erika Kelly book and it won't be my last.    I decided to read this book as a standalone and I wasn't disappointed at all.  Sure if I read the first two it most likely would have deepened my reading experience but I still fell for Calix and Mimi without the back stories.

Mimi is a super strong woman.  She's a woman with a plan.  A plan that will eventually lead her to work for her father.  A dream that she's had for years.  But that dream has many hoops to jump before it comes to fruition.  In the meantime, Mimi is cooking for the band Blue Fire and secretly lusting for the temporary keyboardist, while at the same time is on a reality cooking show.

Calix is stuck.  He's stuck between the past and present.  Which leaves him the lack of ability to commit to anything besides his family.   He's always noticed Mimi but can't take the chance until his family is fixed.

A situation leads Mimi to lean on Calix, which lands her smack dab into the middle of his family drama.   Mimi has the purest heart with great intentions but sometimes good intentions can have the opposite effect.  Calix tries to fight his attraction to Mimi but can't.

The thing I loved about Mimi was her strength and total lack of game playing.  She was honest and didn't play stupid head games.  Instead she helped Calix to deal with the truth by getting to crux of the matter.  She helped him deal with the past by facing hard truths.

"You're not rebuilding anything. You're in a holding pattern."

My heart hurt for Calix and his family.  The past demons had a strong hold on this family.  Causing them to all be stuck and not knowing how to move forward.  Well that was until Mimi.  With Mimi, it changed everything.


I absolutely adored Mimi's pseudo family and Calix's true family.  The story was super sweet and how can you not love a rock star?  Even when that rock star made some pretty crappy choices but thankfully made up for it in a big way.

Some tiny problems I had were the time transitions sometimes were confusing to me.  A paragraph would end then it would pick up out of nowhere somewhere else that I was confused how it jumped to there.  At times I was also confused between Violet's farm and Calix's family land.  I felt like it would start at one farm then merge and all of a sudden we were at a different farm.  I promise I was sober when I read this book but maybe it was just me that found this confusing at times.  :)  Okay one more beef. So, Calix is a sessional musician so doesn't really have any say with the band nor did he want some but when the band needed a party he organized it?  Don't get me wrong I knew why he was the one to do that, as it was another anchor to Mimi but it did feel out of the blue with his disassociation with the band.

Besides these tiny beefs, I really did enjoy the book and was able to fall for these two.  I can't wait to read the first two books to find out how Slater and Derek's fell in love.  As well as I'm so excited to watch Ben and Cooper fall in love with their counter parts. 

3.5 Time to move forward thumbs up! 

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up . 5
 
Lauren
 

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.